This residential street was laid out over the grounds of the former West Ham Bus Garage, in Greengate Street. The double-decker hop-on, hop-off bus was an instant London classic when it was introduced in 1954. They continued to be manufactured until 1968, and were in use until 2005 when the decision was taken to replace the model for newer, more environmentally friendly ones, that were more accessible. The garage was originally a tram depot, opened in 1906 as the headquarters of West Ham Corporation Tramways. It later housed trolleybuses from 1937 and then motor buses from 1959, before closing in 1992. The garage structure was demolished, but the headquarters building remains.
89 total views, 1 views today