This road, like many others in the surrounding area, owes its name to nearby Hainault Forest, one of the remaining sections of the former great Forest of Essex. The woodland became a favourite hunting ground of Tudors and Stuarts, both for pleasure and profit. The types of prey are featured, including this one the roebuck, a male roe deer. This road, part of the Hainault Estate, was developed on former woodland in the early part of the 20thCentury, following the opening of the Hainault Station in 1903. The line was designed to stimulate suburban growth but was closed on October 1, 1908 due to a lack of custom and did not reopen until March 2, 1930.
78 total views, 1 views today