This road leads to the former church of Saint James the Great, on Bethnal Green Road. St James’s, which was built between 1840 and 1844, was called the red church on account of the red bricks that were used to construct it. In 1852 the Reverend Edward F Coke became the parish vicar, he realised that many of his parishioners were living in sin simply because they could not afford the cost of getting married. So in the 1860s he launched an appeal in The Times for people to help cover the cost of these weddings and in due course it proved a great success.
115 total views, 1 views today