Taking its name from the Red Bridge, which was situated where Eastern Avenue crosses the River Roding at Wanstead. It was originally made of red brick, before it was replaced in 1922. The bridge appears as Red Bridge on maps dated 1746 and 1805 but earlier than that, in 1650, it was called Hocklee’s Bridge from the de Hockeleigh family who owned an estate here in the 14thCentury. Up until the 1960s the bridge marked the traditional boundary between Wanstead and Ilford which were formerly part of Essex. In 1965, following a major reorganisation of London’s boroughs, Wanstead and Ilford were unified and incorporated into the capital establishing the London Borough of Redbridge. This street appears on the Ordnance Survey Map published in 1897 as Redbridge Lane.
70 total views, 1 views today