Originally this was known locally as Bourne Lane on account of the fact it crossed several streams including the Yeading Brook. During the Middle Ages the road was the route for transporting grain to the mill on Pinner Green. It changed name sometime in the first half of the 19thCentury after a local family named Rayner, who lived in a cottage on Daniel Hill’s farm for around half a century, looking after sheep. Their cottage was the only building in the vicinity when the Rayners Lane Underground station was opened in May 1906. The area was drastically built up between 1929 and 1938 by Harrow’s biggest interwar developer T F Nash. It used to be spelt Rayner’s Lane.
61 total views, 1 views today