Named after the Powell-Cotton family’s estate Quex Park in Birchington-on-Sea, Kent. The estate itself was named after a wealthy wool merchant family called the Quekes in the 16thCentury and was bought by John Powell, as in investment, in 1773. It was originally part of Shoot Up Hill Farm. The following year he bought Kilburn Wood Farm. Both these farms were passed down through the family. Once the railways lines in the Kilburn area were established, the land began to be sold for housing. All the roads were named after places local to the family’s property at Quex Park, in Kent, and later after places Major Powell-Cotton visited on his travels – particularly Abyssinia (Ethopia) between 1899 – 1900.
7 total views, 1 views today