Quemerford Road, N7

Place name

This is one of a small cluster of streets laid out over Holloway Farm, that are named after places in Wiltshire, in this case Quemerford, a southeastern suburb of the town of Calne. It is thought to have been suggested to the London County Council – or more likely the Metropolitan Board of Works – by a local landowner, John Poynder Dickson-Poynder. Sir John was MP for Chippenham, Wiltshire, between 1892 and 1910 but held the dual role as a member of the London County Council between 1898 and 1904. He was also Honorary Colonel of the Wiltshire Yeomanry. He inherited 13 acres around Islington from his grandfather, Thomas Poynder, whose family estate was in Hilmarton near Calne. Sir John became 1st Baron Islington, in 1910. The street name first appeared in the 1915 Register of Electors. The name of the village is derived from the Old English Cynemaeres-ford, meaning the ford at the royal boundary or lake. See also Beacon Hill, Biddestone Road, Biddestone Park, Hartham Road, Hungerford Road, and Hillmarton Road.

 100 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.