Preserves the name of medieval leaseholder, John Pyrle, son of Roger de Pyrle, who sometime around the start of the 13thCentury rented a small freehold known as Marlcroft in Englands Lane, paying a half-yearly rent and three hens and a cock on St Stephen’s Day to Richard de Munfichet. In return he and his horse were fed by the lord off the manor. After a lapse of centuries, Pyrle’s name was revived for the name of Pyrles Lane, although there was a time when it was known by a the corrupt form of Poles Lane. It is one of the earliest streets in Loughton and appears on the 1777 map of Essex.
9 total views, 1 views today