Named Sun Alley on John Rocque’s Map of London of 1746 but was changed to its present name by the time that the first Ordinance Survey Map was published in 1868. Given that a new building on King Street was constructed next to it in 1836 it may have been renamed then. The reason for the change of name is unclear. But then, as now, the area was full of banking and insurance institutions and so would no doubt have appealed to the banking community.
71 total views, 1 views today