Takes its name from the Grade II Listed The Priory, Roehampton. This large mansion boasted extensive grounds which went as far as Priests Bridge. The road was named in 1913, and along with Tudor Gardens and Treen Avenue was nicknamed The White City for their stucco facades reminded people of the exhibition centre at Shepherd’s Bush. The Priory was originally a private home, it was built in 1811 in the Gothic revival style, and was converted into a hospital in 1872 by William Wood, one of the first modern psychiatrists.
155 total views, 2 views today