The former Pipewell Abbey, in Northamptonshire, was founded in 1143 by William Batevileyn, as a daughter house of New Minster Abbey. It takes its name from the local area which appears as Pipewelle in 1086 and Peppewella in 1231. It is thought to refer to Harpers Brook, which the abbey straddles both sides of, with the first part of the word most likely being the personal name of Pippa, hence Pippa’s Spring. The original monastic buildings were constructed soon after the abbey’s foundation, but were entirely rebuilt in the early 14thCentury. The abbey was dissolved in 1538, and by 1548 the buildings were ruinous. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.