Named after Phineas Pett (November 1, 1570 – August 1647) a famous Woolwich shipwright and First Resident Commissioner of Chatham Dockyard. Pett also built one of the first dry docks in England. He owned Petts Wood, the name first being linked to the family in 1577 as “the wood of the Pett family”, after they leased it to provide a source of timber. Phineas Pett Road SE9 and Pett Street SE18 are also named after him.
191 total views, 1 views today