Agricultural heritage. A 16thCentury name meaning pear tree valley, it had previously been called Greenforde Parva or Little Greenford in 1254, to distinguish it from its larger neighbour Great Greenford. The earliest reference to Perivale is in the Domesday Book where it is described, confusingly, as an “apple orchard”. The name of Perivale was first used in 1508, when it was interestingly spelt Pyryvale. The word a compound of perie or perry (pear tree) and vale. In the 14thCentury, there was some arable farming here, some woodland and a windmill.
49 total views, 1 views today