Directional, in the early 19thCentury this already well-established route between Camberwell and New Cross, as seen on John Rocque’s 1741 map of Camberwell, became part of Camberwell New Road. This connected London Victoria with what was then still a rural Surrey village for the first time. The name comes from the local area of Peckham, which was first written down in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Pecheham and means the village by a hill, from the Old English words, pēac and hām, probably referring to the old village which was to the west of today’s Telegraph Hill. By 1178 it had become Pecham before taking the contemporary spelling of Peckham in 1241. Today it is part of the A202 between London Victoria and New Cross Gate.
78 total views, 1 views today