The high or principal street of Peckham, the name was first recorded as Pecheham in the Domesday Book of 1086 and means the village by a hill, referring to the old village which was to the west of today’s Telegraph Hill. By 1178 it was written as Pecham before taking the contemporary spelling of Peckham in 1241. This was already a well-established route, as seen on John Rocque’s 1741 map of Camberwell, between Camberwell Green and New Cross, by the time Camberwell New Road opened in the early 19thCentury. For the first time the new road connected London Victoria with what was then still a rural Surrey village. Today it is part of the A202 between London Victoria and New Cross Gate.
99 total views, 1 views today