William and Robert Pakeman were well known tailors, who lived and worked in Islington. William working at 2 Esther Place from about 1852 to 1860 and Robert at 4 Railway Place between 1866 – 1870 and from 1871 to 1904 at Holloway Road. The street name was first mentioned in the 1873 Vestry Minutes and in the 1877 Islington directory. But the street name itself is most likely after Thomas Enkel Pakeman, the Enkel was from his mother’s maiden name, who in 1875 helped build the Pakeman Street School in 1875, later renamed Pakeman Primary School.
38 total views, 1 views today