The name dates back to the late 12thCentury church of St Martin Outwich that stood on the site at the junction of Bishopsgate and Threadneedle Street, which was knocked down in 1874. The church took its name from the local landowner Martin de Ottewich or de Oteswich or de Oteswyche, which means Otho’s dwelling or farm. The family, who feature in records from the 13th – 15thCenturies, also gave their name to this area of City in the early Middle Ages. The road was named in 1963.
254 total views, 1 views today