This, like all the streets on the Woodgrange Estate, is named after royal residences. Osborne House on the Isle of Wight was used by Queen Victoria (May 24, 1819 – January 22, 1901) and Prince Albert (August 26, 1819 – December 14, 1861). Upon Queen Victoria’s death there in 1901, Osborne House was bequeathed to her successor King Edward VII, who gave it to the nation later that year. In the late 1870s Thomas Corbett, a Scottish businessman who had moved to London, bought 110 acres of market garden land just to the east of Forest Gate train station in what was then Essex. The land was part of Wood Grange farm which cultivated peas, parsnips and rhubarb. Work on the new 700 property housing estate began in 1877, with Thomas aided by his son Archibald.
439 total views, 1 views today