Octavia Georgina Broderick or Broderip was the second wife of Edward Pain, a Somerset solicitor turned London speculator. The couple married in 1861. His son from his first marriage, Arthur C Pain, developed the plots of land his father had bought at auction from the then Earl Spencer when he sold parts of his extensive estate. The land had originally been gifted to Westminster Abbey by William the Conquerer but was given to the St John family by Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries in about 1540. At the end of the 18thCentury it passed into the hands of the Spencer family. This road was one of several laid out between 1876 and 1877 and named after family connections, so in this case Arthur’s step-mother.
13 total views, 1 views today