A reference to the nearby town of Northwood in Ruislip. The name is literal, meaning a northern wood which was first recorded in 1435 as Northwode, from the Old English words north and wode, then referring to a small hamlet close by the woodland. By 1565 it was spelt Norwood. With the construction of the Metropolitan Railway in 1880 the town saw extensive development and the area was recorded as North Wood.
97 total views, 1 views today