Agricultural heritage. Named after the original fields that were here before the residential development, between the wars, this was agricultural land. It was first recorded as Northfield in 1455 and four years later as Le Nether Northfield, and later Le Over Northfield. The name gave the inspiration for nearby roads so named because they overlook North Acton Playing Fields. Westfields Road and Eastfields Road are also on the perimeter. Nearby are Highfield Road and Lowfield Road. There is no Southfields Road here because the street running along the bottom of the playing fields was previously an approach road to Acton aerodrome, used in the First World War. It is named Noel Road after the lieutenant-colonel who was the commandant.