The former Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich was the only local authority to straddle the Thames when it was first created. Indeed as AD Mills explains in A Dictionary of London Place Names, North Woolwich was “for some 900 years a small detached part of Kent”. The name itself was first used as a station in 1847 and appeared on an Ordnance Survey map of 1888. The district became part of Newham in 1965. This road was laid out over marshland when the North Woolwich Land Company began developing Plaistow Marshes in the 1840s. North Woolwich Road ran from Canning Town to North Woolwich, parallel with the railway.
262 total views, 1 views today