Named after the medieval St Nicholas Acons church, which was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. The church was founded in 1084 and like other City churches took the name of one of the saints and its patron – in this case a Danish man probably named Haakon. It was first recorded as S. Nicholas Lane in 1259 and Seint Nicholaslane in 1381. St Nicholas (March 15, AD270 – December 6, AD343) was bishop of Myra and is remembered for his secret gift-giving. He’s better known today as Father Christmas.
39 total views, 1 views today