Richard Neave (November 22, 1731 – January 28, 1814), who owned the Dagnams and surrounding lands from 1772, was a governor of the Bank of England from 1783 to 1785. Originally from Walthamstow he had made his fortune trading in the West Indies and America, including slaves. At various times he was chairman of the Ramsgate Harbour Trust, the West Indian Merchants and of the London Dock Company, as well as a director of the Hudson’s Bay Company. According to the Friends of Dagnam Park: “The purchase of Dagnams in 1772 marked the beginning of Richard Neaves’ transition from merchant to country gentleman. At this time he was the tenant of the Bower House at Havering-atte-Bower where he remained until 1776. The intervening four years saw the house that was once visited by Pepys, pulled down and the Georgian mansion, which stood until 1950, erected in its place. Richard Neave further established his position among the local gentry with a land purchase policy, begun in 1785 and continued by his successors throughout the next century, which saw the Dagnam Park estate swell to 1,600 acres. Richard Neaves’ social ambitions were realised with his appointment as High Sheriff of Essex in 1794 and more importantly in 1795 when he was created a baronet. He died in 1814 and was succeeded by his son Sir Thomas.” The Neave Baronetcy has continued down the family line for six generations. The last of the Neaves to live in the area were Sir Thomas and Dorina Neave.