Mutrix Road, NW6

Place Name

One of a cluster of roads named after by the Powell-Cotton family whose estate Quex Park is in Birchington-on-Sea, in northeast Kent. This road was originally on land of Kilburn Wood Farm, which John Powell, a secretary to George III and onetime Paymaster General, bought as in investment in 1773. Both this and his other estate Shoot Up Hill Farm  were passed down through the family. Once the railways lines in the Kilburn area were established, the land began to be sold for housing. All the roads were named after places local to the family’s property at Quex Park, in Kent, and later after places Major Powell-Cotton visited on his travels – particularly Abyssinia (Ethiopia) between 1899 – 1900. According to the Garlinge Residents’ Association website: “Mutrix (originally called Mutterer), was never part of the original hamlet their inclusion is justified considering their long and close farming association since Garlinge became a village.” The farm had been  owned by Alfred Motryk, sometime around the mid-13thCentury.

 

 15 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *