Named after Sir John Morden, of Wricklemarsh, Charlton, a businessman who made large sums trading in Turkey and The Levant. He owned large swathes of Greenwich, after he bought the manor of Old Court in 1699. It cost him £1,276 10s and with it he got “its demesnes and the lands called Queen’s lands”. When he died in 1708 he gave the money to the trustees for the benefit of Morden College, Blackheath.
172 total views, 1 views today