When in the late 19thCentury developer Thomas Courtenay Theydon Warner was looking for a name for a street he was laying out between the High Road at Woodford Green and the river Ching, he chose to honour his father-in-law, Cornwallis Maude, who held the title the earl of Montalt. Courtenay Warner had married Maude’s daughter, Lady Leucha Diana Maude, in 1883, which was around the time the estate was being developed. Warner’s own father, Edward Warner, had bought the land in 1849. Courtenay Warner was also the first mayor of the Municipal Borough of Walthamstow after its incorporation in 1929. In 1897 the lodges, a series of very grand semi-detached buildings designed by John Dunn and overlooking the golf course, were built.