In 1135, a hill in Buckhurst (Bocherst), just to the north of Woodford, was given to the monks of Stratford Abbey by William de Montfichet, Bocherst meaning beech wood hill. By 1286 it was being recorded as Monekenebukhurst meaning the hill in Buckhurst owned by the monks. In 1547 it was known as Monnekenhyll and Munchcombe in 1630. Following the dissolution of the monasteries the land was snatched from the church and placed in private hands. A palatial house called Monkham’s House was built here in the 19thCentury. It survived until 1930 when it was demolished to make way for Park Avenue. This street had been laid out before 1920.
92 total views, 1 views today