Until it was renamed in 1891 by the East End Dwellings Company this was Wood Street. Founded in 1884 by the clergyman and social reformer Samuel Barnett to provide housing for the poor, the company purchased a group of slum properties on the north side of Cromer Street. Four parallel streets intersected the dwellings, namely modern Midhope Street, Whidborne Street, Tankerton Street and Loxham Street. The fields were originally developed from 1801 by landowner and tin-plate worker, Joseph Lucas, who held a seven-acre plot between Gray’s Inn Road and the ancient Boot pub, which still exists, on the corner of Judd Street and Cromer Street. This street was laid out in the 1810s. Why Midhope Street is unclear.
4 total views, 1 views today