Named after the Meyer family who took ownership of Forty Hall on November 7, 1799, when it was bought at auction by a prosperous merchant of Dutch descent, James Meyer. It was to remain in the family for a century. Meyer involved himself in local affairs and served as a magistrate for many years while retaining his business interests in the City. When he died in 1826, it was passed to his nephew Christian Paul Meyer who gave it to his son James Meyer II when he moved to Brighton. It was sold in 1895 to the Parker-Bowles family.
21 total views, 1 views today