The Mercer’s Company owned six acres, two roods and thirty-nine perches at Holloway in 1806. They built and managed the former Whittington College Almshouses erected between 1820 and 1824 and demolished in 1967, the occupants moving to Felstead, Sussex. The name was approved in 1877. The Worshipful Company of Mercers is the premier Livery Company of the City of London. Mercers specialised in luxury goods exporting wool and importing velvet, silk and other luxurious fabrics. They were left the land, which consisted of a messuage and three crofts, containing six acres, by John Bancks in 1619 to be used for charitable works, including Christ’s Hospital, and to pay for various positions including the Company’s chaplain, a grave digger, a beadle and a clerk.
154 total views, 1 views today