Mellifont Abbey was a Cistercian abbey located close to Drogheda in County Louth, Ireland. Founded in 1142 on the orders of Saint Malachy, Archbishop of Armagh, it was the first abbey of the order to be built in Ireland. Its name comes from the Latin phrase Melli-fons and means ‘Honey Spring’. After its dissolution in 1539 the abbey became a private fortified house. In 1603 it saw the signing of the Treaty of Mellifont which marked the end of the Nine Years’ War, spearheaded by the Irish against the advance of the English state in Ireland. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
188 total views, 1 views today