- Thought to be named after Benjamin Medcalf, originally from Enfield Lock, who was landlord and farmer of the Greyhound in Ordnance Road sometime around 1867. The Medcalfs were connected with the public house from at least 1866 until around 1874. Benjamin is featured in the Post Office Directory having taken over from Robert Edward Docking. He probably died in 1870, for the following year the census reports that the household was made up of Caroline Medcalf (nee Moore Warwick), 46, publican and farmer of 68 Acres, a widow, originally from Romford in Essex. She shared the property with her four children Sarah, 20, Henry, six, Lily, four and two-year-old Florence. Also in the house were Elizabeth Turner, 29, a niece and William Goulding, 17, a nephew. Phoebe Keay, 22, and Clara Lott, 15, were servants and William Ives, 24, was employed as a waiter. Mrs Medcalf was recorded as still at the Greyhound in 1874 but within four years it had been taken over by William Cundall.
14 total views, 1 views today