Named after the Mayes Brook, a tributary of the River Roding which flows from Chadwell Heath to Barking Creek. The name Mayes Brook was first recorded in the 16thCentury and likely derives from the family of Richard le May which first appeared about 1300. At first it seems to have been applied only to the lower reaches of the stream, south of Longbridge. The stretch through Goodmayes was known in 1546 and later as Heavywaters. This street was laid out in 1899 by Archibald Cameron Corbett as part of his Mayfield development, on land that had formerly been occupied by the Goodmayes Farm. The brook is now covered over.
285 total views, 1 views today