Named after the former Manor House on Turpin Lane, immediately north of where this road enters Chigwell parish at Woodford Bridge. This was no doubt an ancient track. It was extended in 1790 east of Chigwell Row to Lambourne End at the expense of Admiral Sir Edward Hughes of Bishops Hall. The Manor, now a school, was built in 1723. Manor Road also gave access to Claybury Hall which is first mentioned in records in 1270 when it was a free tenement of Barking Abbey.