Lucknow Street, SE18

Place Name

Named after the recapture of Lucknow during the Indian Mutiny of 1857. It had been the capital of the Awadh region, controlled by the Delhi Sultanate and later the Mughal Empire. It was then transferred to the Nawabs of Awadh. In 1856, the British East India Company abolished local rule, claiming alleged maladministration, and took complete control of the city along with the rest of the region. Indian troops rose up against the English and the residency at Lucknow was held under siege. It was relieved first by forces under the command of Sir Henry Havelock, whose force had been so weakened getting into the city that he decided to stay and shore up the defence, and later by Sir James Outram, followed by a stronger force under Sir Colin Campbell. Soon after the mutiny, which Indians see as the first war of independence, the East India Company was relieved of its rule which was taken over by the British Raj.

 20 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *