Directional, in 1777 this was the main route between Theydon Bois and Loughton via Debden Hall. It is named after a Saxon farmer called either Luca or Luhha who had a fenced enclosure nearby. Four years before the Norman invasion the name was mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon chronicles as Lukinstone. By the Domesday survey of 1086 it was being recorded as Lochintuna. The lane itself was an ancient track as evidenced by the fact that in 1667 Sir Eliab Harvey, the owner of the former Rolls estate, in order to extend his grounds, had to get permission from the Crown to alter its course. The street had been formally laid out by the end of the 19thCentury and was known at first as Debden Lane. The section of it known today as Loughton Lane was named sometime after 1960 to reflect the fact it marks the boundary between Theydon Bois and Loughton.
85 total views, 1 views today