Chris Wadsworth writing on the website hamiswheretheheartis states: “Around 1980 Richmond Council sold 5 acres of Ham Lands for a private development, rather than social housing, to a development company called Ferndale Homes. The 88 houses which make up the Locksmeade Development were sold from 1981-1983. They range from 1 to 4 bedroom houses in a variety of styles. The layout of the development is complicated, comprising as it does of a mixture of privately owned, council adopted and ‘common’ areas which were intended to be maintained by a management company – Locksmeade Management Company Ltd. This is run by the residents themselves.” This road formed the nucleus of the Riverside Drive development which was laid out on either side of it. All the names on the estate have a connection with the nearby lock, the river itself or river occupations. The name itself is a portmanteau made up of lock in reference to the nearby Teddington Lock and mead another term for meadow. The first lock at Teddington was built in 1810. The road was first occupied sometime around 1982.
44 total views, 1 views today