Originally named Griggs Road or Grigg’s Road probably after Griggs and Son a local builder based in Manchester Road who laid out this road in 1900. In 1903, before the original name could even make it on to the Ordnance Survey map, it was renamed Livingstone Road after David Livingstone, the explorer as there used to be missionary school on the other side of Lea Bridge Road. Livingstone (March 19, 1813 – May 1, 1873) was a Christian missionary with the London Missionary Society, an explorer in Africa, and one of the most popular British heroes of the late Victorian era. Livingstone’s fame as an explorer and his obsession with learning the sources of the Nile River was founded on the belief that if he could solve the mystery, his fame would give him the influence to end the East African slave trade.
86 total views, 1 views today