Records from the middle ages show that a deed for a cottage and garden was granted to Peter atta Hacche a limeburner in 1380, but the area was already known for this industry, being recorded as Le Lymhostes in 1367. In 1387 the area was described as Lymehostes near London and in the late 15thCentury Lymost. In 1547 it became Lymehouse. Lime was used in both agriculture and industry, including fertiliser, bleaching and leather-tanning. The lime itself was made by chalk being heated in kilns or oasts.
80 total views, 1 views today