Medieval name denoting a place of lime kilns. Lime Street was known as Limestrate sometime around 1180 and Lymstrate in 1258. Lime burners lived in the street, and made and sold lime here (a chemical substance derived from limestone) for use in building and construction work. Their presence gave name to the district of Limehouse “the houses where lime was burned”.
128 total views, 1 views today