Directional, the road leading to Leytonstone. Literally meaning Leyton by the stone, Leyton refers to a fenced enclosure or farm by the River Lea, while the stone element is thought to refer to a Roman milestone. It was first mentioned as Leyton atte Stone in 1370 becoming Leyton Stone in 1426. This follows the course of the old Roman road from London to Epping Forest and Waltham.
76 total views, 1 views today