Named after a small village in the Vale of Glamorgan, just west of Cardiff, it is an anglicisation of the Welsh Lecwydd, and probably derives from the personal name Helygwydd (possibly the name of a local holy man or Welsh saint). This is one of several local roads with a Welsh connection. They were named by builder, F R Absolom, who was originally from Cardiff. See also Lavernock Road and Powys Close, among others. Absalom retired in December 1937.