Named after the Leaden Hall, a large manor house owned by Sir Hugh Neville in the 14thCentury, that most likely had a lead roof. The building must have been enough of a feature for it to be recorded as La Ledenehalle in 1296 and again as le Ledenhalle in 1322. The street name came in 1605, written as Leaden Hall Street. The mansion was acquired by the City Corporation in 1411 and a market was created here, originally just for poultry sold by outsiders. By 1488 it became the centre of the leather trade. Although destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, it returned and the present building dates from 1881.
110 total views, 2 views today