Named after the bridge that crosses the River Lea. The name itself has Celtic origins and is thought to mean the bright one or possibly dedicated to Lugus, an ancient deity. The river traditionally marked the western boundary of Essex. It was first mentioned as Lygan in AD895 and by the turn of the first millennium as Liggean. Later still it was recorded as Luia and Leye in 1235, Luy in 1378 and Lye in 1390. It was also known as the Great Essex Road or the road to Essex and was one of the turnpike roads. The Lea Bridge toll house, which opened in 1724 and continued until 1872 was situated on this side of the bridge near to The Princess of Wales pub.
76 total views, 1 views today