Directional, the road to Kingston. Kingston-Upon-Thames has had royal connections for more than a millennia. It first featured in an Anglo-Saxon charter of AD838 at the time of Egbert, King of Wessex, as Cyninges tun from the Old English words caning and tūn literally the king’s manor or estate. Certainly it was an important enough holding that between AD899 and AD982 all kings were crowned here. Nothing had changed following the Norman Conquest and by the time of the Domesday Book of 1086 it was being called Chingestune; by 1164 it was Kingeston. Despite these long-standing connections, it didn’t have a Royal Charter until King John granted one in 1200. By 1321 it had become Kyneston super Tamisiam and in 1589 Kingestowne upon Thames. In 1927, King George V confirmed Kingston’s status as a Royal Borough and in 1965, Elizabeth ll granted another Royal Charter which entitles Kingston to continue to use the title Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames.
65 total views, 1 views today