One of a cluster of streets on the former Powell-Cotton estate that is named after connections to the family. John Powell bought Kilburn Wood Farm as an investment in 1773, when he died without any children his property was passed to his nephews Arthur Annesley Roberts and John Powell Roberts, who in accordance with the bequest adopted their uncle’s surname and arms. John owned Holland House, in Kingsgate, (so called following the incidental landing of Charles II on June 30, 1683, the gate referring to a cliff-gap), near Broadstairs, Kent. Both this farm and his other estate Shoot Up Hill Farm were passed down through the family. Once the railways lines were established in Kilburn, the land began to be sold for housing. All the roads were named after places local to the family’s property at Quex Park, in Kent, and later after places Major Powell-Cotton visited on his travels – particularly Abyssinia (Ethiopia) between 1899 – 1900.
13 total views, 1 views today