Formerly King Edward Street, renamed in 1885 to distinguish it from King Edward Street in the City. It literally means King’s cottage, a reference to Bridewell Palace, built for Henry VIII following the dissolution of the Whitefriars Order, whose monastery had been here. The palace was later used as a workhouse and prison. It was finally demolished in 1864.
11 total views, 1 views today