Named after the nearby park, the whole area was once a part of the vast Ebury estate. A hide was an Anglo-Saxon term meaning family or a land-holding that was considered sufficient to support a family. This was equivalent to 60 to 120 old acres. The area was recorded as Hida in 1204 becoming La Hyde in 1257. The Royal Park was established by King Henry VIII in 1543 when it was known as Hide Park.
10 total views, 1 views today