The Hyde Farm Estate dates back to medieval times when it was a field of around 60 acres at the southern end of the parish of Clapham. The area was known as The Hyde and later as Hydefield, a hide being an old Anglo-Saxon term meaning a land-holding that was considered sufficient to support a family. This was equivalent to 60 to 120 old acres. The estate was developed between 1896 and 1916 mostly by a Battersea-based builder Edward Hayes Dashwood and his land agent uncle Peyton Dashwood. In February 1996 the London Borough of Lambeth designated a portion of the estate between Haverhill and Radbourne as the Hyde Farm Conservation Area.
13 total views, 1 views today